Books written by Anita Perez

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pure Passion


Webster defines "passion" as a strong liking or desire for or devotion to some activity, object or concept. But what exactly is passion?

When I look back upon my life, there were many seasons in which I had a strong liking, desire for or devotion to a job, a hobby, a course of study, an act of service, or a relationship. These were times of happiness, hopefulness, energy and excitement. I shifted my every thought, emotion, and personal resource toward the passion du jour. I made promises, lists, and investments. I sacrificed relationships, spontaneity, fun, and sleep. I woke up early and stayed up late until, predictably, I could do no more and I was left deflated, exhausted, and passionless. As it turned out, what I thought were passions, even those that appeared altruistic, were often selfish indulgences and compulsive distractions.

I have spent the last five days observing passion in the eyes and actions of the Peace Corps staff and seasoned volunteers. I see their passion and I want it. But I also fear it.

How pure is my commitment to international development work? Am I capable of making the long term commitment to the kind of sacrifices I observed today on my first field visit? Am I prepared to shift my entire way of being for the benefit of others? I continue to pray for wisdom, patience, and revelation and will pray the same things for you as you read these words and ponder that which you believe to be your passion, the purity of your motivations, and the sincerity of your commitment.

Grace & Peace,

Anita

1 comment:

  1. You made the committment long ago...you were just searching for your niche. You have found it! Your passion jumps from your writings. Keep it going sister. We can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete