Books written by Anita Perez

Monday, July 27, 2009

What's In It For Me?


The Peace Corps is dedicated to promoting world peace and friendship while providing a much needed service.

Because I am not completely clear on what my role as community economic development consultant will entail, my service goals are a little vague. If history repeats itself, it is highly likely that I will be doing a lot of writing, speaking, teaching, relationship building, coalition building, leadership coaching, and teambuilding. These have been the common denominators throughout my career. But what's in it for me?

I must confess that I spend just as much time these days, thinking about who I will be when I return as I do thinking about the actual experience of serving. How will these new relationships and experiences impact me? How will I readjust to life back in the States? How will I transition back into gainful employment? Will I still be passionate about international development work?

I spent this weekend thinking about my personal goals for my 2+ years in Panama and this is what I came up with:

  1. To do no harm.
  2. To facilitate and participate in sincere relationships.
  3. To strengthen my Spanish language ability.
  4. To better understand development work.
  5. To find my place as a professional in international development work.
Joining the Peace Corps in mid-life is risky but I believe it is a risk worth taking. Somewhere out there is a problem that needs attention, a seed that needs to be watered, a hand that needs to be held. Some people answer the call by doing these things right here in the U.S. For me, the call is to far off places and I could not live with myself if I ignored it.

I realize that anything can happen between now and the time I land in Panama. But I am committed and I am moving forward. What about you? Are you stepping into your calling or are you letting the what-ifs hold you back? The world needs you and yes, the world includes that which is right outside your front door. Step out... and together we can be agents for change and objects of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment